Question asked on Oct 6th, 2018

Q: Unmarried, 1 year old daughter, never went to court, paid support since birth, mom won’t allow me to see her and won’t communicate with me at all. Do I continue to pay support or stop until a paternity test is ordered?

A: That depends on what your belief is, and what your objectives are.  Either party can file a parentage action at any time which will quite promptly result in an order for a paternity test, as discussed here.  If she files for child support through the D.A. and you protest for non-parentage, they too will order paternity testing.  You probably should review the posted materials here on child custody, visitation and support, as well as paternity.  If you wish to check out the self-help forms, look here.  Your best bet is to consult with a family law specialist to go over all of your rights, obligations, and options.