Nevada Divorce Laws
Divorce is an awful thing to face. It tears families apart and causes pain to all involved. Sometimes, however, it’s simply the best solution to the problem of two people who can’t iron out their differences. When this happens, you’ll need the best divorce lawyer to handle your case. The right attorney can not only help to speed up the process, but can sometimes even help to reduce the pain and anger, and aid in both sides coming to an acceptable agreement.
No-Fault Divorce Laws
Nevada is a no-fault state. This means that in this state, the spouse who files for divorce doesn’t need to prove that the other spouse was in any way at fault. They just have to state they are no longer compatible.
Nevada is also a community property state, which means that all assets that are acquired by the couple during the marriage are communally owned by both. This includes earnings and debt associated with either spouse.
Issues Arising in Divorce
There are a wide range of issues that can come up in divorce cases. Generally speaking, these can be divided up into five overarching areas.
- Jurisdictional issues;
- Child issues, including custody, visitation or support;
- Property or debt issues;
- Issues of alimony, spousal support or “maintenance”;
- Procedural and cost issues.
Each of these areas carries its own difficulties and complications, and the right divorce attorney can help to guide you through each of these, and understand how assets, debts and responsibilities can be split equitably and acceptably between both parties.
Family Law and Court Procedure
Dealing with divorce means dealing with complex issues of family law and court procedures. These laws and processes can vary greatly from county to county. The Willick Law Group is here to guide you through these processes and laws as efficiently as possible, and we provide links to the relevant statutes and rules across our website.
In Clark County, the court has a self-help center, which distributes packets to those who wish to try to pursue divorce without counsel, or who cannot afford counsel. Using the online Court computer system Odyssey, you can see whether an action has been filed, either by name or by case number. You will need to register for a password to access this information.
The Willick Law Group
The Willick Law Group has been in business in the Las Vegas region for over 30 years. For the past decade we have operated the Willick Law Center across the street from Family Court, which allows us to pursue our work as effectively and efficiently as possible. We have an “AV” rating from Martindale-Hubbell which places us on the Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers. This means that we have the very highest level of legal ability, and operate with strict adherence to all professional standards of conduct, reliability, ethics and diligence.
We practice every level of family law in the Las Vegas region, and have extensive experience in the courtroom, in trials and in appeals. While no divorce is easy, we are here to help with your divorce case and make the process as fast and painless as possible. If you are contemplating a divorce, give us a call to discuss your options.
- Divorce Case Flowchart
- NRCP 16.2 Timeline
- ADKT 388 Financial Disclosure Form – exhibit A (Rule 11, etc. amendments)
- ADKT 388 Financial Disclosure Form – exhibit B (NRCP 16.2 amendments)
- General Financial Disclosure Form
- Detailed Financial Disclosure Form
- Litigation Budget Form
- Everyday Threats Made By Overly-Emotional Soon-To-Be-Ex-Spouses
Divorce In Nevada
- Consultation Policies, Procedures, and Costs & Litigation Goals
- Client Questionnaire
- Firm Biography
- Retainer Agreement
- Divorce Law Procedure Questions
- Answers to Your Questions About Divorce (Bar Brochure)
- Protecting The Family (AAML)
- Stepping Back From Anger (AAML)
- Credit Report Request
- Cope Class Information (Bridge Palo Verde Family Consultations brochure)
- Family Mediation Center Brochures
- FMC mediation request form
- Safe House Brochures
- Making Marriages Last
- Deposition Proceedings – Explanation
- 10 Commandments of Being Deposed
- Courtroom Tips for Clients
Links to Other Web Sites
- Inflation Calculator
- QDRO Masters
- Coping with Divorce and Separation
- Family Court Rules
- Family Law Self Help Center
- About Divorce, a Guide to Divorce for Clients
- Nevada’s Official Records
© 2016 Willick Law Group