Question asked on Oct. 22, 2020

Q: I’ve enrolled in wic since March 2020..due to the pandemic, I’ve lost my job. I have unemployment benefits, but since he left I cant afford my rent and food. So I’m filling for child support, he’s very upset telling me the state will sue him and make him pay back our child’s wic benefits. Is that true? I’m not on any other government aid. No Medicare, no food stamps or cash assistance. Will the state go after him?

A: It is possible for the state to try to recoup some support from a parent with means if the other parent is on social services — that said, if assistance is necessary for you and your child to get by you should apply for all benefits available; especially in the current environment, many normal “loans” and other repayments are not even being sought by the government.