Question asked on August 13, 2018

Q: I was awarded child support, primary physical custody, than joint legal custody. Now he text me today, saying he is take our child out of the school she has been going to move her to better school. We have not had an conversations because speaks in a very disrespectful manner so we text to communicate. I am confused because she lives with me can her change her school without talking to me?

A: Your court order should have specific language in it regarding school choice (usually in the “legal custody” section).  Either way, no, he has no authority to unilaterally select, or de-select, a school.  First, see the information regarding custody posted here.  What you really need is a detailed consultation with a family law specialist, in this firm or some other.