Question asked on Dec. 13, 2019

Q: The father is mentally abusive, he got angry and yelled that he was going to take my son away from me. Therefore I’m scared to leave him because I don’t want to risk losing my son. I don’t want him growing up and thinking that it is ok to act his father. He is almost two months old. I do not have a job, I am in school part time and live with my parents.

A: Without a full knowledge of the facts, it is impossible to rationally predict outcomes, but the factors a court will look at include the behavior and characteristics (like excessive anger) of the parents, as explained here.

Do not allow yourself to be threatened, or blackmailed.  Youi need to consult with a family law specialist.  If you really cannot afford counsel, the local Pro Bono provider is the Legal Aid Center of Southern Nevada, which can be called at 702-386-1070 (or see their information on the web at  Those that take pro bono cases take them after they have been screened, and assigned, by Legal Aid.  The Reduced Fee Panel sponsored by the State Bar can be reached at 702-382-2200.  Additionally, there are free consultations offered on Thursdays at the self-help center; volunteer attorneys provide 15-minute consultations, for free, on family law questions.  For those that wish to attempt self-representation, forms are available at the Clark County self-help center website, at