Question asked on Feb. 16, 2021

Q: My niece is in the Philippines. She had 2 children with a man who immigrated to America. They are not legally married. The children are 7 and 9 years old now. The father refuses to provide regular financial support. Can my niece file for court order child support? If so, how?

A: The short answer is “yes.”  The long answer depends on a bunch of details — is he on the birth certificate?  Where, exactly, does everyone live?  Does the father have any income or resources?  You (or more precisely, your niece) should consult with a family law specialist in the state where the man lives to determine whether and how to file a custody/support case.