Question asked on Jun 01st, 2014

Q: Judge Elliot has stated I need to find a pro bono attorney for my case in family court. Where can in find a pro bono attorney? I’ve tried legal aid, but they cannot help because the case has already been started. The other legal aid type office has a 30 to 90 day wait.

A: I am not sure that legal aid (LACSN) can’t take a case already in litigation.  That is the primary pro bono provider.  My stock paragraph on this topic reads:

If you really cannot afford counsel, the local Pro Bono provider is the Legal Aid Center of Southern Nevada, which can be called at 702-386-1070 (or see their information on the web at,com_jcalpro/Itemid,3/extmode,view/extid,15/).  Those that take pro bono cases take them after they have been screened, and assigned, by Legal Aid.  The Reduced Fee Panel sponsored by the State Bar can be reached at 702-382-2200.  Additionally, there are free consultations offered on Thursdays at the self-help center; volunteer attorneys provide 15-minute consultations, for free, on family law questions.  For those that wish to attempt self-representation, forms are available at the Clark County self-help center website, at

Marshal S. Willick