Question asked on Jan 06th, 2015

Q: My daughter wants to change her last name to my married name. Her bio father will consent and adoption is being discussed. I don’t want to hire a guardian ad litem – can I be the guardian ad litem or a friend/family member?

A: The Clark County Family Law Self-Help Center has a form set and explanation for the circumstances in which “Both Parents Agree to the Name Change (or one parent is deceased, unknown, or has no legal rights).”  The forms have recently been revised, and there does not appear to be a Guardian requirement.  To examine the easy-to-read explanation, and the forms, go to

Marshal S. Willick
Latest posts by Marshal S. Willick (see all)