Question asked on Apr 21st, 2014

Q: I have been using my mothers married name of her 2nd. husband who she is still married to, since I was 10 years old. I am now 53. I am on SSI and have recently moved to Nevada. I am trying to get an ID. Since my name on my Birth Certificate is different they won’t give me an ID.

A: You sound like a perfect candidate for an adult name change; it is reasonably straightforward, although there are filing fees, publication expenses, and a bit of delay, and then follow up with Social Security, the DMV, and anyone else who has a mismatch between your records and the name you wish to use.  Dealing with it now, however, either through counsel or through the self-help forms, will save you years of aggravation down the road.

Marshal S. Willick
Latest posts by Marshal S. Willick (see all)