Question asked on Jan 22nd, 2019

Q: My husband is filing for divorce this week I have been a stay at home mom for 30 years with no income we have a 14 and 17 year old he has not given me money in 2 months to pay the rent, food etc. and said he is leaving and moving out is this abandonment what can I do? he is going to hire an attorney I don’t know where to start?

A: Most of the questions you ask are explained on the “Preliminary Matters and Motions” page of our website, which is posted here.  It is sometimes possible to hire counsel on a “staged” retainer — meaning a minimal initial payment, with the first course of action being going to court to get adequate funds from the other side to be able to afford counsel and deal with the divorce case.  I suggest you review the substantive pages of the web site, which may well provide valuable information about property division, child custody and child support, alimony, etc.  As soon as possible, you should consult with an attorney.

If you really cannot afford counsel, the local Pro Bono provider is the Legal Aid Center of Southern Nevada, which can be called at 702-386-1070 (or see their information on the web at  Those that take pro bono cases take them after they have been screened, and assigned, by Legal Aid.  The Reduced Fee Panel sponsored by the State Bar can be reached at 702-382-2200.  Additionally, there are free consultations offered on Thursdays at the self-help center; volunteer attorneys provide 15-minute consultations, for free, on family law questions.  For those that wish to attempt self-representation, forms are available at the Clark County self-help center website, at