Question asked on March 18, 2021

Q: I am wanting to move out of my house because my parents don´t really care about me they make it really hard to keep going. I struggle with depression and I have tried to get help before and they take me but they don´t make my situation better they just cause more stress and tell me it’s in my head. I don’t feel wanted or cared about with my parents and my buddy’s dad cares. He actually sits down with me and talks to me about my problems when my parents just say its all fake.

A: There are multiple responses.  First, so long as no one objects, you can live with friends, or family, as you wish.  To ensure no legal problems in case of emergency, it is even straightforward to have a temporary guardianship arranged by way of a simple form.  If there is a disagreement, it gets more complicated, and I would suggest that the potential moving party (apparently, your friend’s dad) consult with counsel.  More extreme measures would include “emancipation,” but that might require you to prove that you could be self-supporting, which may not be possible.

In the meantime, whatever you decide in that regard, you should seek out adequate emotional support, which is available through your school, or outside it and privately.  CCSD has set up telehealth and other facilities for students to have an outlet and resource for emotional support, even during the pandemic, and I strongly suggest you take advantage of it, asap.