Question asked on Jan 22nd, 2014

Q: I am a family member who was never contacted when my niece was taken from my sister and was adopted out, I tried to contact the case worker to try and get my niece, however, I live in Nevada and she was in California. How would I be able to get the adoption overturned?

A: Unless I misunderstand your facts, there is probably nothing you can do, at least here.  These things do not happen quickly, normally, and it is unclear how long ago all this occurred.  I’d suggest starting with an adoption specialist in California, as anything you might still be able to do would have to be done where the adoption (and probably, termination of parental rights) proceedings took place.  If you have no other resources to seek counsel, consider starting with the names and practice summaries posted at

Marshal S. Willick