Question asked on March 27th, 2019

Q: My husband got arrested for domestic violence the D.A has sent someone to subpoena me if the papers are served can I plead no contest or plead the 5th in court?

A: You can “plead the fifth” if you believe your answer may serve to incriminate you; that is because the fifth amendment prohibits compelling a person to testify against himself or herself.  If you are trying to not testify against someone else (your spouse) your inquiry is about the “marital privilege” and should be directed to a criminal law attorney.