Question asked on Oct 13th, 2016

Q: I have talked to an Attorney about an omission of assets from my divorce I filed in 2007. Finalized in 2009. He said there would be no problem. He figured it to be an easy case. The decree states, there are no assets, period. I forgot about it. He was very abusive, my ex. I do need this to happen. The attorney said five hundred dollars, and twenty-five dollars for a filing fee. I am on disability and need an Attorney that I can make payments to after the fact, or pro bono. I cannot come up with the money before hand. I’ll make payments, no problem. His 62nd b-day is Nov. 22, 2016. I don’t know when he will file, or does it matter? Culinary union pension. He can only take half out in cash, rest in payments. Please help. Thanks.

A:  This area is difficult, and intricate, and yes, there are many things that can go wrong.  I wrote the “partition” staute relating to such overlooked assets; for a review of the history, and the controlling statute, and the various complexities, please see “Partition Actions: What Every Nevada Divorce Lawyer Needs To Know” (CLE, December 3, 2015), posted here.

Marshal S. Willick