Question asked on Aug. 19, 2020

Q: I am wanting to sign my rights over as a father due to many of things. I had stayed home for 10 1/2 yrs. to save money and to have a parent being at home due to special needs in some of the children. She has put her self on back page and adult finder. And now she is dating a child sex offender . Not sure if all 5 boys are mine either. I want nothing to do with her or the family I created. The boys understand I’m their father and I’m not allowed by the mother to conversate with the boys. So why be a dad to those I’m not allowed to parent or father. Am I capable to signing my rights away as a parent.

A: First, you should do nothing rashly or impetuously.  Find out your legal rights, obligations, and options, and then decide what is in the best interest of you and your children.  You are allowed to “relinquish” parental rights, but in Nevada that does not terminate your obligation of support, as explained here.  At the same place, you will see what is actually required for a Termination of Parental Rights court order, and decide whether that is something you wish to seek.  If so, or even if not, you should consult with a qualified family law specialist before making any decisions or taking any actions.